Creating a HAR file
In this article
What is a HAR file?
When a technical issue arises, it will sometimes be the case that our technical team are unable to replicate the issue you are experiencing. On these occasions it is necessary for us to get as much information as possible, and the best place to get this additional information is from the network requests that are generated in your browser while the issue occurs.
Below is a guide for how you can access and record these network requests to then send over to our Campus Support team for further analysis.
- Open up Google Chrome and head over to the page in your Campus Account where you are experiencing the issue.
- In the top right hand corner of your browser you will see three vertical dots (where you can Customise and Control Google Chrome). Click this button and then choose Tools > Developer Tools.
- This will open a new panel on your screen. From here, select the Network tab.
- At the top left hand corner of the Network screen, you will see a circle Record button (which will either be red or grey). We need this circle to be red as this means it is recording, so if it is grey simply click it once. This will start recording the Network Activity.
- To the right of the Record button you will see Preserve Log with a box to the left of the text - tick this box.
- Lastly we need to clear any Network Request logs that may have already been produced during the above process, so click the Clear button which you will find right next to the red Record circle.
- Now you need to reproduce the issue you have been experiencing in your Campus Account while the network requests are being recorded, so try and complete the activity where you were experiencing the issue.
- Once you have reproduced this issue, right click anywhere on the grid of Network Requests and choose Save all as HAR with content and save the file to your computer.
- Email this file across to Campus Support.
- Open up Firefox and head over to the page in your Campus Account where you are experiencing the issue.
- In the top right hand corner of your browser you will see three horizontal lines, this is your Firefox menu. Click this and then choose Web Developer > Network.
- This will open Developer Network Tools along the bottom or side of your browser window. Click on the Network tab.
- The recording will automatically start when you start performing actions in the browser so now you need to reproduce the issue you have been experiencing in your Campus Account.
- You will see all of the actions have appeared in the Developer Network Panel, so right click under the File column and choose Save all as HAR.
- Save this file and email it across to Campus Support.